Frequently Asked Questions
We’ve attempted to answer the most common questions people have about the Big Green Egg in a very clear and concise manner. If you don’t find the answer to your question here, please contact your nearest Big Green Egg dealer or email@example.com
About the Big Green Egg
How to use the EGG
- Not using enough charcoal. We recommend filling the EGG with natural lump charcoal to the top of the fire box. The Lighting Your EGG video on this website will show you the proper amount of charcoal to use as well as the recommended lighting procedures.
- Using damp charcoal. Charcoal will retain moisture if it has been exposed to water, such as rain or humidity, even if the charcoal appears dry. Always store your Big Green Egg Natural Lump Charcoal away from the elements or in a sealed bin.
- Air flow is reduced by the round air holes in the fire box becoming clogged with ash, or excessive ash accumulation in the base of the EGG. Simply clean out ash using the Ash Tool and clear the holes in fire box to maximize air flow inside the EGG; check the openings occasionally and clean as needed. The Maintaining Your EGG video on this site will show you how to clean and maintain your EGG.
- Temperature Gauge is not reading correct temperature. See question #20 in the Parts and Service Section below to learn how to calibrate the gauge.
DO NOT ATTEMPT TO LIGHT OR USE AN EGG INDOORS unless it is an approved commercial installation with venting or fire suppression as may be required by building codes. The EGG must always be placed outdoors, away from structures and NEVER inside or in proximity to an enclosed area. The burning of wood and charcoal products releases carbon monoxide, which can be deadly. DO NOT attempt to light or use an EGG near any storage area or inside a garage or enclosed patio that may contain fumes or combustible materials – if you have any questions about such materials, please contact the manufacturer of the combustible material in question.
PARTS, SERVICE & CARE
- Clean the table as needed with a mild detergent and damp, non-abrasive cloth.
- Standing water can seep through the finish and stain the wood. Keep your table covered or wipe away any standing water.
- Place table on a hard surface with adequate drainage. Don’t place legs directly on damp grass or standing water. The adjustable leveling feet included with the table (or the optional Locking Caster set) should be used to keep the bottom of the legs elevated above ground.
- Chemicals, solvents, chlorine and alcoholic beverages can stain wood surfaces. Hot items such as cooking grids, convEGGtors and baking stones can damage the table if placed directly on the wood surface.
- Check and tighten hardware occasionally.
This table is an all-natural wood product – with proper care it will exhibit its beauty and functionality for years to come!
Also watch our Gasket Replacement Video Click Here
Otherwise, to open the EGG – ONLY WHEN IT IS COOL – carefully insert a flat object such as a putty knife between the dome and base gasket and slowly work the flat edge around the circumference of the base. This should loosen the seal enough for you to be able to open the EGG.
CAUTION: TO AVOID A WARRANTY ISSUE, DO NOT ATTEMPT TO FORCE, LEVER OR FORCIBLY PRY OPEN THE EGG AS THIS MAY CRACK OR CAUSE DAMAGE TO THE CERAMIC! Once the EGG is open, inspect the gasket for damage and replace if necessary. Your Authorized Dealer can provide a new gasket.