Maple & Herbs Spatchcock Turkey
Makes 10 to 12 portions
- 1 14-16 pounds whole turkey
- 2 tablespoon of your favourite poultry dry rub (we used BGE Savory Pecan seasoning)
- 1 cup of maple syrup
- 1 stick unsalted butter at room temperature
- 2 gloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon of fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 tablespoon of fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 teaspoon of Kosher salt
- Set the Big Green Egg for indirect cooking with the convEGGtor at 300°F and one apple wood chunk on the charcoal.
- Mix the herb butter:In a small bowl, mix together the softened butter, garlic, rosemary, thyme and Kosher salt. Set aside.
- Spatchcock the Turkey: Remove the backbone by using kitchen shears or a good knife. Snip along each side of the turkey’s spine, until it’s completely detached. Once you remove the backbone, open up the bird, flip it over and push the palm of your hand to flatten it out as much as possible.
- Butter and rub: Use your hands to spread the herb butter all over the turkey, between its skin & meat. Sprinkle a generous coating of the dry rub on both sides of the turkey, starting with the skin down.
- Smoke the Turkey: Place the turkey with breasts facing up and centered on the grill. Brush maple syrup all over the outsides of the turkey every 30 minutes. Cook until internal temperature of the breasts reaches 165°F and thighs about 180° This will take about 2h30 to 3 hours.
- Rest the Turkey. Remove from the BGE and rest at room temperature for 30 minutes before carving. Enjoy!